We Love What Makes You Unique
Your perspective fuels our mission-driven work at United Way of Greater New Haven. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience.
Who We Are Looking For
Are you passionate about bringing people together to be a force for good in our community? Are you a self-starter who is organized in the office and has a knack for meeting and making new friends?
If so, our Volunteer Coordinator position may be perfect for you.
What You Will Do:
- This is not a 9 to 5 job. If that statement sparks joy, keep reading. If not, this may not be for you. Each month you will be required to work some evenings and weekends to coordinate and participate in volunteer events that make a difference in the community. This also means that you will have a flexible schedule.
- Your number one job will be to make sure United Way volunteers have an excellent experience. From event planning to execution–you will need to support United Way’s big, fun signature events that draw more than 100 volunteers at a time. There are also smaller United Way volunteer projects that you will lead on your own. You will represent the values and mission of United Way and engage groups of people, big and small, before, during, and after volunteer projects to deliver a seamlessly executed and meaningful experience.
- You will be the point person for United Way volunteers. You will make sure we have the right amount and a great mix of options to meet different volunteer needs. You will help craft and send volunteer email communications, solicitations, and thank you cards. You are comfortable with technology and will use your skills to update volunteer postings on United Way’s website, manage volunteer registrations, and communicate with volunteers to share information, solicit feedback and have fun together. To make this happen you will keep an organized United Way volunteer database. All of this work will help you build new relationships and deepen existing ones in the community.
- You will work as part of a team. Back in the office, you will work closely with every department at United Way. You will report to the Director of Communications, and meet weekly with the Communications and Marketing team. You’ll collaborate with our fundraising team to set up projects for local businesses looking to volunteer and lend a hand with fundraising events. You will recruit and coordinate volunteers for our community change efforts. You will need to track who volunteers and when, so that at the end of the year we know the impact United Way volunteerism has made. You will need to participate in the planning and advertisement of volunteer events. You will also maintain good working relationships with community, nonprofit and business leaders in the community. And of course, there will be other duties as assigned.
What You Need:
- A positive, team-focused, can-do attitude with a commitment to excellent customer service.
- A driver’s license and a reliable vehicle because you will need to travel throughout our region. You will be able to expense your mileage.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate to key stakeholders and staff; strong written, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to problem-solve in the moment and juggle multiple priorities.
- High degree of professional integrity to deal ethically with confidential information.
- High comfort level with MS Office suite, Google apps including Gmail, and social media.
- The ability and willingness to support peer to peer, social media, digital, and volunteer fundraising efforts.
- The ability to lift 40 pound boxes to a height of 3-4 feet and load them into and out of vehicles as necessary for volunteer projects.
- Photo and video experience is a plus.
About United Way
United Way of Greater New Haven brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Health, and Financial Stability. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone. United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter telling us about your relevant experience and your interest in this position and a current résumé to email@example.com. No phone calls, please, but we encourage you to explore uwgnh.org. The position will remain open until filled.