Who We Are Looking For?
Are you a finance professional with strong strategic thinking skills? Do you find joy in making systems run more effectively and efficiently? Are you interested in developing staff and consultants into a team with cutting-edge skills and a strong focus on customer service? If so, our Finance Director position may be perfect for you.
The Finance Director will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in financial management, systems development, and operations. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team of staff and consultants to support the following areas: accounting, business planning and budgeting, and IT.
This is a tremendous opportunity for an experienced leader to maximize and strengthen the internal systems and capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Produce monthly and annual financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the President/CEO; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the accounting department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate critical financial matters to the President/CEO and board of directors.
- Act as a liaison for external relationships with accountants, auditors, banks, and other financial services.
- Play a key role in the transition to a new donor database and develop appropriate processes between fundraising and accounting staff for data conversion, data entry, and reporting.
- Manage external vendor relationships and contracts.
- Identify and analyze cost-reduction strategies (workflow efficiencies, vendor accounts, etc.) across the organization.
- Supervise a team of two FT employees and work with consultants in IT and HR.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial management experience, with significant experience managing complex projects from start to finish.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a division or significant program area.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A track record in grants management.
- Technology-savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of UWGNH.