nonprofits,local leaders & Grt.New Haven business sharing information
IRIS is looking to fill the FT position of Refugee Education and Youth Services Program Coordinator.
IRIS- Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services (www.irisct.org) welcomes and resettles approximately 200 refugees each year-- people fleeing persecution in their home countries who are invited to come to the United States. They come seeking safety, freedom, peace, and opportunities. IRIS is responsible for welcoming them warmly, helping them learn about their new home, and helping them become self-sufficient. IRIS seeks a Refugee Education and Youth Services Coordinator who will be responsible for ensuring that the refugee children and youth (from birth to age 18) participate in relevant educational and enrichment programs.
-Enroll all new refugee children in school and ensure they have school supplies and uniforms.
-Orient refugee parents and children to the educational system in the U.S.
-Support and mediate the relationships between parents, childcare providers, school systems, teachers, and administrators by assisting parents in building effective relationships.
-Coordinate after-school activities and tutoring, and in-school tutoring sessions. Supervise paid and volunteer tutors. Purchase necessary snacks, supplies, and equipment.
-Help students and families understand the schooling options they are eligible for, including magnet schools.
-Supervise the IRIS Early Learning Program, an onsite childcare program for children ages 1-4 whose parents are in the IRIS English class.
-Maintain IRIS’s relationship with current community partners. Through networking, outreach, and research, find and implement ways to improve IRIS’s Education and Youth Services Program by forming relationships with other community agencies.
-Work with Volunteer Coordinator to train and coordinate volunteers to serve as tutors and to provide transportation and language interpretation for activities, as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience working with immigrants or in social services strongly preferred.
- Strong commitment to serving immigrants is required.
- Driver's license and ability to drive clients in personal vehicle.
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong work ethic; initiative and ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to work with diverse groups of individuals.
- Excellent, effective written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Computer and internet proficient with solid understanding of computer systems and applications.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to Kelly Hebrank, Deputy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closing date: August 31, 2011