nonprofits,local leaders & Grt.New Haven business sharing information
We Love What Makes You Unique
Your perspective fuels our mission-driven work at United Way of Greater New Haven. We are
committed to building a team that is inclusive across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and lived
experience. As a team, we are also committed to addressing systemic racism and injustice in our
community, our partnerships, and our practices.
Who We Are Looking For
Do you enjoy accounting and being part of a mission-driven team? Do you work well in a fastpaced environment in which you are involved with a variety of financial tasks? Do you find satisfaction in setting up finance processes to make the department and organization work more efficiently? Do you enjoy working with colleagues from all departments and being an integral part of making an organization work? If you answered yes to the questions above, this position may be an opportunity for you to use your talents as a force for good in our community!
The Staff Accountant position will play a critical role in our Finance Team.
Key responsibilities will include Accounts Payable, Payroll, Journal Entries, Balance Sheet and Bank Reconciliations.
What You Will Do
• Perform all Accounts Payable duties within the agency utilizing Abila/MIP, maintain vendor
files, process 1099s
• Obtain required approval, code invoices for proper expense allocation and issue payments to
vendors and partner agencies, including payments related to Fiscal Sponsorship Agreements
• Designation Payments: prepare designation payouts using data from donor database system
and prepare payments through Abila/MIP. Verify nonprofit status and maintain demographic
data for recipient agencies. Perform reconciliation of designation payables between Abila/MIP
and donor database
• Perform all Payroll related functions; maintaining and updating employee records in payroll
software, process bi-monthly payroll, retirement account deposits, and reconciliation of payroll
related general ledger accounts
• Prepare necessary journal entries to record transactional data in general ledger, including
• Reconcile various balance sheet accounts; perform/assist in bank reconciliations
• Maintain supporting schedules for grant related expenses to facilitate reporting and budgeting.
Assist in reviewing partners reports, evaluating requests of partners and submitting reports to
• Assist in providing reports to fiduciary partners
• Assist with annual audits, preparing necessary schedules
• Serve as back-up for Finance Manager
• Identify areas of continuous improvement on finance functions and document processes
• Other duties as assigned
What You Need
• Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Preferred
• A minimum of three years of non-profit accounting experience with a working knowledge of
non-profit accounting principles and standards, including GAAP.
• A minimum of three years of experience in Accounts Payable and Payroll
• Ability to multi-task and work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Team Player who inspires collaboration and communicates effectively
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and dedication to the mission of UWGNH
• Proficiency in Excel
• Experience with Abila/MIP a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes generous paid time-off, health and dental insurance, and a 403(b)-
retirement plan with employer matched contributions. Starting salary will be between $55,000 -
$58,000 commensurate with demonstrated skills, experience, and background.
About United Way
United Way of Greater New Haven brings people and organizations together to create solutions to
Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Health, and Financial
Stability, grounded in racial and social justice. United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter, telling us about why we should bring you in for an interview
to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, but we encourage you to explore uwgnh.org
to learn more about what we do. The position will remain open until filled.