Job Description: Full-time Lead Organizer
PREST is a youth-led organizing effort for racial and educational justice throughout Connecticut. We envision a country in which the histories of Black people and people of color are taught, understood, and celebrated as fundamental to American history and where people feel affirmed in their identities.
PREST is excited to add a full-time Lead Organizer to our team this year! The PREST Lead Organizer will be responsible for training and directing the organizing team, forging relationships between PREST and the community, and strategizing PREST’s campaign and movement activities.
The Lead Organizer will:
- Manage PREST Campaign Organizers, Student Organizers, and the PREST Youth Team
- Facilitate regular PREST Youth Team (PYT) meetings
- Deliver leadership and organizing training opportunities to PREST Student Organizers
- Design workshops and trainings for PREST Student Organizers
- Participate in occasional parent/guardian outreach
- Lead field trips, special events, and parent workshops
- Provide strategic vision and direction to campaigns and projects
- Develop, implement, and coordinate campaigns and projects with Student Organizers
- Mobilize and build PREST’s base
- Manage campaign-related communications
- Conduct outreach to and regular one-on-one meetings with young people
- Provide overall support for the PREST infrastructure
- Attend all PREST Leadership Team meetings
- Manage the PREST project budget, with support from the Executive Director
- Support the Executive Director in fundraising efforts and organizational capacity-building
- Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Director
- Demonstrated experience as an organizer
- Experience working with young people
- Experience or demonstrated interest in facilitation
- Experience with education justice work is a benefit
- Understanding of oppression, race, and identity, and commitment to fighting racial injustice
- Passion for real and sustainable change
- Flexibility in working within a new and growing organization
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge, experience, and skills
- Willingness to adopt best practices, to experiment, and to make and learn from mistakes
- Capacity to lead and be led
- Strong communication skills
- Comfort with social media such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Knowledge of Prezi, Canva, Wix, and MailChimp are benefits
- Strong ties to the New Haven or Connecticut community a plus
- Must be at least 18 years of age
People of color, queer, trans/gender non-conforming, and recent college graduate-aged folks are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply!