TITLE: Community Organizer
Status: Part-time (30 hours a week)
To support the goals of BGHS and VSAAC though implementing community based prevention services, collaborating with community partners, and developing and managing prevention programming.
Research and facilitate the development and implementation of community based prevention initiatives and programs. Research and develop resources to sustain the initiatives and participate in area prevention programs/ coalitions and/or Local Prevention Councils. Mobilize communities/ groups throughout New Haven & surrounding towns to address youth drug and alcohol abuse prevention and related issues in the communities. Flexible schedule to accommodate evening & weekend community meetings and activities
• Knowledge of substance abuse prevention, community development and mobilization, youth development principles and community organizing approaches
• Ability to conduct effective advocacy, prevention education, and project evaluation
• Must possess the ability to motivate, engage, and interact with a diverse cross-section of community members, including but not limited to law enforcement, businesses, schools personnel/educators, parents, community leaders and other volunteers in the community.
• Project management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Knowledge, skill, and experience in local community resources and ability to use and understand data.
• Create, manage, and execute short and long term project work plans
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to facilitate trainings, ability to prepare and present concise information to small and large groups of individuals through public speaking skills
• Ability to work independently while keeping key individuals and groups informed, work collaboratively with small staff team
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
BS/BA in public health, social work, community health education or related field with strong understanding of community coalitions, volunteer engagement/recruitment. Certified Prevention Specialist, Certified Health Educator. Two years experience in human services, public health or related field required. Proficient in MS office.