We Love What Makes You Unique
Your perspective fuels our mission-driven work at United Way of Greater New Haven. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience.
Who We Are Looking For
Are you passionate about using your marketing and communications talents as a force for good in our community? Are you the type of person who speaks up for those who need a voice? Can you tell a good story, so good that it helps us build a movement?
If so, our Communications Manager position may be perfect for you.
What You Will Do
- Your number one job is to be a passionate United Way cheerleader. If that statement gets you excited, keep reading. If not, this may not be for you. You will succeed in this position if you can build relationships within our organization and beyond. As a United Way brand ambassador, we need you to be loud and proud about your passion for United Way and our community. You will be required to work some evenings and weekends to represent United Way at our signature events, professional networking meet-ups in the region, and other community events.
- Storytelling is key. You will interview the people United Way serves and our donors; that takes compassion and adaptability. Back at the office you will write, design, and edit content, and that requires tech savvy and project management discipline. We need a self-starter. You will help us think differently about how we get the word out about our work, and that means your new ideas are a must.
- You will be the point person for all things Marketing. You will create and execute an annual marketing plan. You will manage all of our marketing contact lists and think of new ways to grow them. You will communicate to our contacts in a consistent, segmented, and personal way. You will write all email newsletters and targeted communications. You will be the lead on creating all marketing materials such as flyers, brochures, posters, impact reports, the annual report, and more. You will serve as webmaster of UWGNH.org. That means you will write and manage content on the website, making sure it is refreshed and current. On social media, you will create the daily content needed for our major social media platforms. You will foster a culture of social media savvy amongst staff. You will manage Marketing contractors. You will manage the Marketing and Engagement budget, and track expenses. You will write press releases, talking points for big events, and help coordinate media coverage.
- You will be our in house peer to peer fundraising expert. You will research and manage peer to peer fundraising efforts on our social media and email marketing channels. You will help recruit social media influencers who will support online campaigns to raise money for a specific United Way cause that is time limited. This is new work that United Way would like to grow, and we need a Communications Manager with online fundraising knowledge.
- You will work as part of a team. You will work closely with every department at United Way. You will report to the Communications Director, and meet weekly with the Marketing and Engagement team. You’ll collaborate with our fundraising team to dream up new ways to reach local businesses and individuals looking to give back to the community. You will also maintain good working relationships with community, nonprofit and business leaders in the community. And of course, there will be other duties as assigned.
What You Need
- A positive, team-focused, can-do attitude with a commitment to excellent user experience.
- A bachelor's degree in Marketing or Communications, or equivalent work experience.
- A driver’s license and a reliable vehicle because you will need to travel throughout our region. You will be able to expense your mileage.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate to key stakeholders and staff; strong written, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to problem solve in the moment and juggle multiple priorities.
- High degree of professional integrity to deal ethically with confidential information.
- High comfort level with MS Office suite, Google apps including Gmail, and social media.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Wordpress and basic video editing
- The ability to lead peer to peer, social media, digital, and volunteer fundraising efforts.
- The ability to lift 40 pound boxes to a height of 3-4 feet and load them into and out of vehicles as necessary for events and volunteer projects.
- Photo and video experience is a must
About United Way
United Way of Greater New Haven brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Health, and Financial Stability. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone. United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and the best cover letter we’ve ever seen to email@example.com. No phone calls, please, but we encourage you to explore uwgnh.org to learn more about what we do. The position will remain open until filled.