nonprofits,local leaders & Grt.New Haven business sharing information
CAHS mission and vision: Works to end poverty and to equip and empower all families in Connecticut to build a secure future. We envision a Connecticut where all children and families thrive and, regardless of income, contribute to and share in Connecticut’s growth. Low-income residents—working in collaboration with policy makers, business and labor leaders, the faith community and the general public—play a central role in developing policies and programs that ensure the state’s prosperity, as well as their own. Together, they build a culture of shared responsibility and success.
Title: Outreach Advocate
Employment Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Program Director
Summary: The Connecticut Association for Human Services (CAHS) seeks a New Haven area Outreach Advocate. The Outreach Advocate will work to increase Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP-formerly food stamps) enrollment in Connecticut by conducting outreach and education in the greater New Haven area. Information provided through outreach will include SNAP income guidelines, application information, pre-screening for benefit eligibility, and other activities designed to raise awareness of SNAP among eligible non-participants. This effort is to take place throughout New Haven County in accordance with the Connecticut State Outreach plan.
Strategy & Execution
Administration & Reporting
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience
• 2-3 years professional experience with a nonprofit or volunteer organization
• Bi-lingual (English-Spanish) strongly preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and internet resources.
• Ability to collaborate well with others.
• Ability to handle multiple projects.
• Superior time management and communication skills.
• Ability to grasp complex program regulations and effectively communicate them to diverse audiences.
• Ability to communicate effectively on the telephone and in writing to a diverse group of people.
• Comfortable with online screening tools (training provided).
• Creative and energetic problem solver, who is able to work effectively in a team.
• Friendly, flexible, confident and assertive.
Send resume, cover letter, references and salary requirements to Brian Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org