Housing and Donations Coordinator (Part Time)
This is a part-time position- averaging about 30 hours per week.
IRIS – Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services (www.irisct.org), a dynamic nonprofit organization in New Haven CT, has an immediate opening for the part-time position of Housing & Donations Coordinator. IRIS helps refugees—people fleeing persecution in their home countries who are invited to the US by the federal government—to start new lives and become self-sufficient, contributing members of their communities. IRIS currently welcomes about 220 refugees each year, from countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Congo, Eritrea, and Sudan.
Summary of Position Responsibilities:
IRIS is responsible for providing all newly arriving refugees with a furnished apartment on the day of their arrival. The Housing & Donations Coordinator is responsible for acquiring safe, affordable, appropriate apartments for new arrivals; supervising the cleaning and furnishing of the apartment; and coordinating the pick-up and distribution of donated furniture and household goods.
1. Apartment Acquisition
- Liaise with local landlords, property managers, and real estate agents to identify apartment options for new refugee arrivals no later than 1.5 weeks prior to client’s arrival.
- Coordinate with case management department and others to select apartment.
- Conduct safety checklist to ensure home meets basic standards, and ensure that any outstanding issues are addressed.
2. Donations Coordination
- Encourage public donations of furniture and household items, either directly to IRIS or to an IRIS partner, a furniture bank/thrift store.
- Coordinate the collection and distribution of donations: Respond to phone and email inquiries about donating furniture. Schedule times when donors can drop off furniture, or when necessary, drive IRIS’s pick-up truck to homes around Greater New Haven to collect furniture from donors.
- Manage the IRIS warehouse and storage spaces, and keep an inventory.
3. Apartment Set-up
- Coordinate the housing preparation, and supervise volunteers who help with the process of cleaning the apartment, furnishing it, and supplying all necessary household goods.
4. Program Administration
- Complete administrative paperwork necessary for IRIS compliance with funders and regulators- including safety checklist, checklist of the items provided in each apartment, and case notes documenting work performed.
- Communicate needs for volunteer help to IRIS Volunteer Coordinator, and supervise a team of volunteers and interns.
- Arrange for maintenance of the IRIS pickup truck.
- Ability to multi-task and work on many priorities at once in a fast-paced environment.
- Cultural competency and a desire to serve people of diverse backgrounds.
- US driving license, and ability to drive IRIS’s pick-up truck around Greater New Haven.
- Ability to lift and carry furniture and household goods.
- Polite, respectful communication (phone, email, in person) with many stakeholders including landlords, furniture donors, and clients.
- Computer skills, including MS Office and email.
- Superb organizational skills, and ability to anticipate needs and plan for them appropriately.
- Ideal candidates will have experience supervising others.
To apply, send an email to Deputy Director Kelly Hebrank, at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 8th with the following:
- A subject line that says “HOUSING & DONATIONS COORDINATOR: [Candidate first and last name]”
- A cover letter describing your relevant skills and experience, and why you are interested in this position
- An attached resume