CIVIC ENGAGEMENT: Help Citizens to Help Ourselves. Be Honest with Us.
I strongly recommend reading the New Haven Independent article linked here. It represents real journalism. We seldom get investigative journalism any more. Much of mainstream media is dedicated to one-upmanship and sensationalism. Unless we stick to the New York Times, Washington Post, The Nation, Huffington Post and PBS for national news, and the NHI (along with a few other outlets for local news) we really don't get a good grasp on what is happening in our society. Below are excerpts from the NHI's article titled: FBI Chief Tells Half The Story. Please watch the short video of Pa...https://youtu.be/O0aZyjAwhEU - Credit Taken, Blame Deflected
Paul Bass knows more about what is happening in New Haven and our CT cities than any of these highly paid pundits ever will. He certainly cares more about it.
- “The FBI’s embattled director came to town to tout his enlightened past remarks on race and policing and to credit a federal program for cutting New Haven’s gun violence.
- He didn’t mention his more recent remarks that have inflamed racial tensions. Or the skyrocketing gun violence in another city, Bridgeport, with the same federal program.”
Sitting in the audience at Coop on Monday it was difficult to figure out what some presenters were talking about. They were in the clouds somewhere or were simply posturing. Too few were factual. Yes, there was a ‘uniformed’ show of cohesion, but little else.
- The only reality came from those who spoke about the NHPS, what is being addressed and what needs to be addressed to produce more positive outcomes for students. It was quite refreshing to hear.
- There were some hard truths being told by the reps of the NHPS, not by the feds and certainly not by those who were simply there for their careers.
- Honest Coalition Building demands first that real trust to be established.
- It is impossible for the fly-overs to see the affected areas. There was more interest in the state and federal representatives touting their paper accomplishments than coming up with solid action plans to make real changes that will produce positive outcomes.
- FBI’s Comey clearly had his own agenda: save my job, at all costs, for the next 14 months!
- How can there be any meaningful corrections if those at the helm cannot even admit there are problems? Listening to the feds NH is suddenly all of Connecticut! Since when?
- The problems in Bpt, Hartford and New London were not even acknowledged. Why Not? could it be that this was all about some people "looking good" than about really addressing the issues that will bring relief to those most affected?
- CT is one of the safest states overall, but our major cities have problems to be addressed. New Haven is one of those cities. Yes, it is important to point out that improvements have been made.
- Be honest about the cause of those improvements; give credit at every level where credit is due, but also address where there are deep-rooted problems and talk about what all of us (as CT residents) can and should do to help to fix the problems that still exist.
- Many of us are concerned that if the police and the feds start patting each other on the back for their imagined success- nothing else will be done to address the festering pockets of problems, and the problems will surge again.
- If you are the parent of the young person killed last month the drop in crime is not reflected in your experience. If your car was stolen last week, and your apartment robbed, you are not benefiting from the non-existent low crime rate.
- If those who are committing crimes are perpetually on the loose, you cannot have confidence in law enforcement. Give citizens some workable tools.
After reading the NHI article linked here, please read the stats linked here.
These Are The 10 Most Dangerous Places in Connecticut
Connecticut may be one of the safest states in the U.S., but just like anywhere else, some areas within its borders are less safe than others.
OneWorld Progressive Institute, Inc., is a small group of committed volunteers who produce community information and education television programs on health literacy, education and civic engagement. We also find good information and post informative blogs about issues we believe shine light and are beneficial to many in our communities. Learn more about us at our web site: www.oneworldpi.org/ and visit our web education section at: http://goo.gl/u9g7z4 We focus on Education at every level.
Please share our information with others. Watch our informative television programs on your public access channels: Frontier (formerly AT&T), Channel 99, drop down; Charter Communications Chan. 21, and Comcast (Optimum) Channels 10, 15, 18 & 26. See our programs on Citizens Television, Comcast Channel 26, Sundays at 9am, Mondays at 8pm, Fridays at 10am, and Saturdays at 9pm.
https://www.youtube.com/user/oneworldpi/videos - OneWorld’s YouTube – See us on: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OneWorld-Progressive-Institute-Inc/151551484879941