We need you and other health reform supporters to take action next Thursday in New Haven.
CT's Health Insurance Exchange is hosting a public input session:
Thursday December 6, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Hill Regional Career High School, 140 Legion Ave, New Haven.
Details at www.healthychatct.com
We need to turn out and speak up next Thursday because consumers and small businesses are not being heard in Exchange decision-making. CT’s private insurance companies have too much influence over the Exchange, and too many important decisions are being made without public input.
Hundreds of people fought to make the Exchange more accountable in the last year (see example here) -- and it's working. The Exchange is now hosting seven sessions around the state to gather public input. (Coverage of the first session on Tuesday in Hartford is here.) They need to hear, loud and clear:
- The Exchange must make health care more affordable: insurance costs too much in CT and subsidies are not large enough. Thousands of the very people health reform is supposed to help will be uninsured if the Exchange does not make insurance affordable
- The Exchange must support more insurance choices -- non-profits, public options -- not just private insurance plans
- The Exchange will be more successful if it seeks public involvement and partners with community-based organizations to reach out
Basic background: the Exchange is supposed to be:
- a key part of expanding coverage to uninsured people and small businesses under federal reform
- a fair, consumer-friendly marketplace where we choose health plans that meet our needs
- the source of subsidies for low and middle income families -- with incomes up to 4 times the federal poverty level, about $92,000 for a family of 4 -- to make health insurance affordable
- CT is one of only a few states moving full speed ahead in setting up its Exchange. More background here and here.
Please join us next Thursday. To tell us of your plans to attend and for more info, send a note to email@example.com. To spread the word, use the Facebook event page or forward this information.
- See you there!
N'Zinga Shani (on behalf of Health Care for Everyone)