Rock to Rock Day of Service 2012!
Saturday, March 31st from 9 AM to 12 PM
On March 31st, Rock to Rock Earth Day Ride will be holding its first Day of Environmental Service at six sites around New Haven. From 9am to 12 noon, volunteers from across the region will gather to garden, clean, mulch, and green. Six Rock to Rock partners are hosting volunteer crews. They are: (register here: http://rocktorock.org/volunteer.php)
- Common Ground: Installing garden fence, splitting and stacking firewood, garden/greenhouse work. 358 Springside Ave New Haven
- Farmington Canal Rail to Trail Association (2 crews): 1 crew will start cleaning up trash along Basset, the other at Sachem, and will meet at the Rock Gym in the middle (northern crew): Intersection of Basset Ave and Farmington Canal (southern crew): Scantlebury Park: 139 Ashmun St
- Friends of Beaver Pond Park: Raking and spreading mulch, moving rocks, picking up trash following a trail along the water's edge. Corner of Crescent St. and Fournier St.
- Friends of Edgewood Park: Cleaning, raking mulching, possibly some flower planting, possibly some trail cleanup. Edgewood Park Ranger Station (near southern portion of Edgewood Park, near West Park Ave)
- The New Haven Land Trust: Working in either the Pond Lily Nature Preserve or the Long Wharf Nature Preserve. Moving washed up objects, removing a broken bridge, and clearing litter/debris. : on Long Wharf, off I-95 Exit 45. or Pond Lily Nature Preserve Crew: East Ramsdell off Whalley Ave. on left
- Solar Youth: This crew will help paint walls in the Solar Youth building. 53 Wayfarer Street New Haven, CT 06515
The Day of Service is a chance for Rock to Rock riders and friends to get to know the local organizations involved, meet other riders and volunteers, and improve the local environment.