Community, Nonprofits and Businesses sharing Information
4th Open Space event: Building, Housing, & Community
"When the rug is pulled out from under our feet,
how do we keep a roof over our heads?"
"How can creative housing choices help make our neighborhoods & communities more resilient in a low energy future?"
Bring your ideas, inspirations, experiences and passion to this Open Space gathering and help unlock the genius of this community.
--Bring Food to Share
--Suggested Donation $15
Child Care Available: Call in Advance
For more information and to register contact:
Bernard Brennan 203-288-0001 or BernardTransition@me.com
or Maria Tupper firstname.lastname@example.org
Possible questions to explore:
* How can we house more people within existing buildings? How might buildings be modified to make it easier for larger groups to cohabit?
* What role might co-housing or eco-villages play in an energy constrained future?
* How will we make old houses more energy efficient and eco-friendly?
* How will we adapt when elements of infrastructure and public services become unreliable or fail altogether? E.g., garbage pickup, water, snowplowing, fuel delivery, electricity, police and fire services.
* How will we keep warm? Are there practical alternatives to gas or oil heat?
* How will we negotiate the personal changes we will need to make if we are to live in an extended family or group home setting? How will we get beyond our deep needs as consumers and individualists for privacy and personal autonomy, adapting to living cheek by jowl with large family-like groups who are sharing heated space out of necessity?
* What are the legal and customary barriers to alternative living arrangements? Barriers to alternative types of building such as cob or straw bale? How will we get around these barriers?
* What will a new urbanism look like?
* What part will "greening" play: green roof tops, green houses, greening New Haven's Green? Alternative energy, alternative living?
What are your questions, concerns? Come and join our community think-tank! Bring your ideas and inspirations as we work on building community together!!
YouTube links to Open Space Technology and Transition Towns
information can be found on our websites:
New Haven Bioregional/ Greater New Haven Transition