Public Allies Connecticut - AmeriCorps is starting the process of planning for our annual MLK Day of Service, scheduled to take place on Monday, MLK Day, Jan 21st, 2019.
As an AmeriCorps program, we observe the MLK Day
holiday as a "Day
On" in Service to honor the legacy of Dr. King, while engaging in a reflective practice around our ongoing struggle for equity and justice. As we have in the past, we are putting a call out to our network for potential Service Day
We're looking for organizations that have a capacity need or small project that could be addressed/ completed in roughly 4-5 hours by a team of anywhere from 3-30 Allies on Jan 21st. Some examples of previous projects have included:
- Renovating office space and helping a nonprofit downsize
- Sorting household donations and winterizing apartments for refugees
- Running activities at guiding event attendees at the annual MLK Day event
- Collecting non-perishable food donations outside of local grocery stores to benefit families receiving services related to domestic violence
- Painting indoor murals at local schools
- Distributing outreach information about programs and services related to financial literacy, healthy food access, and much more through door-knocking or tabling at community events.
We're open to all this and much more!
So if you have a project in mind, no matter how large or small, that you think a group of motivated Allies could tackle between roughly 10 am and 2 or 3 pm on Jan 21st, please let me know. We're hoping to recruit enough partner organizations to be able to host additional volunteers, including Alumni, members of sister AmeriCorps programs, and friends and families.
To start a planning conversation, please complete this very short interest form by Dec 19th, 2018
. Of course, if you are unable to partner but know another organization that might be interested, please feel free to forward this message.
Thanks! Looking forward to discussing your project ideas soon!