KaBOOM! Community Partner Program
KaBOOM! brings together parents, community leaders and corporate partners to facilitate the design and construction of new playgrounds. Our goal is to not only build a new playground but to use the project to strengthen existing support networks and build new community relationships. We are currently accepting applications from nonprofit, child-serving organizations and schools that would benefit from and embrace the process of a community built playground partnership. For more information or to apply, please contact Jen Anderson at email@example.com or by phone at 202-464-6085.
Benefits of Becoming a KaBOOM! Community Partner
- Receive a new custom-designed playground!
- Engage community members to work toward a common goal.
- Participate in a planning process that will help you fundraise, strengthen your community, build relationships, and develop media relations skills that can be used for future community projects.
- Establish an ongoing relationship with KaBOOM! through our alumni program and a playground sponsor who wants to have an impact on your community.
- Serve a low-income and/or special needs community.
- Have no playground or need to replace an existing unsafe or outdated playground.
- Work with the community, with guidance from a dedicated KaBOOM! Project Manager, to fundraise $8,500 USD toward the cost of equipment.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit a team of parents, neighbors, and community members who are excited about serving on the planning committee for an eight to ten week period leading up to Build Day, plus about an additional 100 community members to participate on Build Day.
- Own the land on which you wish to build, or possess a long-term lease and obtain permission from the landowner to construct a playground.
- Complete any needed site preparation on at least 2,500 square feet of flat, dirt surface. Site preparation can include removing old equipment, asphalt, grading the land, etc.
- Secure soil tests, utility checks, and appropriate build permits in a timely manner.
- Identify community resources to secure additional in-kind contributions such as breakfast and lunch for Build Week, tools, restroom facilities, and a dumpster.
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the playspace upon completion of project.
Only applicants who submit complete applications and demonstrate that they meet the eligibility requirements will be considered. Key criteria used in the competitive selection process include:
- Demonstrated “play deficit,” or need for a playground in the community.
- Anticipated impact that the playground and project will have on the community.
- Impact on low income areas.
- Capacity and willingness to engage community members in planning and building the playground.
- Capacity to generate the fundraising contribution.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for this project and commitment to fulfill requirements.
Please note that some KaBOOM! Community Partner opportunities have additional criteria, which are unique to each opportunity and are shared with applicants during the selection process. Things such as geographic location, access to general public, ability to quickly move through application process and religious affiliation may be considered in addition to the standard criteria.
To learn more about KaBOOM! and the scope of our projects, check out this short video from our website kaboom.org about who we are and what we do and see our Theory of Change in action.
KaBOOM! accepts applications year round and has opportunities across the U.S., Canada and Mexico. For organizations in Connecticut, if you are able to build in 2013, we would like to hear from you immediately, as we have an active opportunity!
For more information or to apply, please contact Jen Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 202-464-6085.